Re: -mcpu vs. binutils

To: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <>
Subject: Re: -mcpu vs. binutils
From: Thiemo Seufer <>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 13:50:32 +0200
Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:
> On Wed, 14 May 2003, Thiemo Seufer wrote:
> > >  Of course the choice of the default should be configurable (for binutils
> > > it probably already is
> >
> > It isn't, and probably will never be. Of course you could introduce
> > just another configuration, with the bfd vector of your choice as
> > default.
>  Hmm, I would assume "mipsn32*-linux" defaults to n32 and "mips64*-linux"
> -- to (n)64.  It isn't the case, indeed.

IMHO it's not particularily useful to have both of these. I assume a n64
capable system will always implement n32 also, for better performance
and less memory consumption, and the majority of applications will run
as n32. IOW, there's little need for a n64-defaulting configuration.

But IIRC we disagree about this point.