Re: Linux for MIPS Atlas 4Kc board

Subject: Re: Linux for MIPS Atlas 4Kc board
From: Jan-Benedict Glaw <>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 21:49:42 +0200
On Sat, 2003-05-10 08:56:01 -0700, Michael Anburaj <>
wrote in message <>:
> Hi,
> >"init" is another thing. Your NFS root should include a /sbin/init or
> >or /etc/init or /bin/init or /bin/sh. If none of those exists, you
> >loose.
> For setting up the NFS, I did the following:
> 1. exported the /export/RedHat7.1

That's okay.

> 2. downloaded MIPS_RedHat7.1_Release-02.00.tar from
> this tar file has the following:
> linux\installation\RedHat7.1\RPMS\mips\ <contains a lot of rpms>
> linux\installation\RedHat7.1\RPMS\mipsel\ <contains a lot of rpms>
> linux\installation\RedHat7.1\RPMS\noarch\ <contains a lot of rpms>
> linux\installation\RedHat7.1\install\ <contains a Makefile, install.list,
> install.script>
> linux\installation\RedHat7.1\install\root\etc\ <contains inittab, securetty>
> linux\installation\RedHat7.1\install\root\etc\sysconfig\ <contains network>
> linux\installation\RedHat7.1\install\root\etc\xinetd.d\ <contains telnet,
> rlogin, rsh,rexec, hosts>
> & some more files.
> Now tell me what should be extracted to my NFS export /export/RedHat7.1
> (along with their relative path info.).

Well, I think you should start reaing the files in the install path
(Makefile, install.list etc.). You should also notice that with Linux
you've got '/' as path separator, not DOSsish '\'.

Basically, I *think* your board is big endian, so you need to unpack
everything from the mips and the noarch directory.

After that, there should be:

...and all the other files.

> Also let me know what path to be passed on to the kernel as parameter to
> nfsroot=
> Is it simply /export/Redhat7.1?

> Another question: I don't see a init file in the tar. or is inittab
> similar? Is this "MIPS_RedHat7.1_Release-02.00.tar" tar file the right file

If you'd cared to look into that file, it's only a plain text file, no
executable file. So these are different things.

> & the only file that is needed for now; that has the right stuff in it? Or

Possibly. I've got no chance to look into it and to now you haven't
posted a URL from which I can get that file's contents...

> do I need to get the right file from a different tar file?

Maybe. Maybe not. Depends...

   Jan-Benedict Glaw    . +49-172-7608481
      ret = do_actions((curr | FREE_SPEECH) & ~(IRAQ_WAR_2 | DRM | TCPA));