OpenSSL/Binutils Issues

To: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Subject: OpenSSL/Binutils Issues
From: Kumba <kumba@gentoo.org>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 00:20:49 -0400
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org

        Greetings all,

Having some issues with Binutils and OpenSSL on mips. Trying to bootstrap a machine using binutils-2.14.90.0.1, gcc-3.2.3, & glibc-2.3.2, and use -mips3 -mabi=32. It's working good so far, I almost have a complete system built in chroot, only problem is OpenSSL doesn't seem to coorperate well with the latest Binutils.

OpenSSL itself builds, but other programs have issues attempting to make use of it. I've known of the issue since one user said OpenSSH doesn't work, but this time, while building wget, wget's configure program was unable to use OpenSSL. The Error messages are below.

        Wget's configure builds this code as "conftest.c":

                #include "confdefs.h"

                int RSA_new();
                int SSL_new();
                main(){return 0;}

        And Compiles it with:

                gcc -o conftest -O3 -mips3 -mabi=32 -mtune=r4400 -pipe
                -fomit-frame-pointer -I/usr/include/openssl 3.c  -lssl
                -lcrypto -ldl

Which builds fine. Then the error hits when attempting to execute the "conftest" executable:

                ./conftest: error while loading shared libraries:
                usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.6: unexpected reloc type 0x68

Has anyone seen anything like this? My base mips install on my SGI Indigo2 is built using binutils-2.13.90.0.16, which builds everything fine, just doesn't cooperate well with -mips3 or higher options. I'm not sure if this is mips-specific, or if I need to bother the OpenSSL team about it.

        Ideas?

--Kumba