assembly debug question

To: <linux-mips@linux-mips.org>
Subject: assembly debug question
From: "Mike Connors" <mike.connors@ghs.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 17:20:27 -0700
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Hi All,

I'm using gcc v2.96 to compile a MIPS targeted Linux kernel
and am finding it difficult to produce debug information
for assembly files.

I've discovered that a typical compile line for assembly
in the kernel gets its parameters from AFLAGS and results
in the following commandline:

mipsel-linux-gcc -D__ASSEMBLY__ -D__KERNEL__ -I/l/include \
        -G 0 -mno-abicalls -fno-pic -mcpu=r4600 -mips2 \
        -Wa,--trap -pipe -c entry.S -o entry.o

According to the documentation, some targets support
dwarf debug information using --gdwarf2.  Does anyone
know if the MIPS target is supported in version?

Also, --gstabs doesn't seem to work either.  Nor does
-gdwarf-2, -gdwarf -g2, -gstabs+, -gdwarf+, etc.

Has anyone had luck producing debug information for
assembly files with this version of gcc?

./mipsel-linux-gcc --version
2.96
./mipsel-linux-as --version
GNU assembler 2.11.92.0.10

Thanks in advance,
Mike

---
Mike Connors                    Green Hills Software, San Clemente
Field Applications Engineer     131 Avenida Victoria
mailto:mike.connors@ghs.com     San Clemente, CA  92672
phone: 1-949-369-3950
cell:  1-949-412-3951           fax: 1-949-369-3959