Re: R5000 Linux

Subject: Re: R5000 Linux
From: Guido Guenther <>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 16:56:50 +0200
On Thu, Apr 17, 2003 at 09:12:55AM -0400, Clarence Donath wrote:
> Is there a Linux kernel for the R5000 IP32?  I would like to get involved.
I can send you a binary image if that's what you're looking for
(although I'm definitely not the right person to offer this since I have
almost 0 knowledge about the O2). I'd recommend to start from the
sources which are available through's cvs repository.
and the patches for the O2 for 2.5 are here:
You'll also find a cross toolchain there. The major show stopper for me
is currently the "do_cpu invoked from kernel context!" problem which I
didn't find any time to look into yet. I wonder wether I'm the only
person seeing this?

> I've successfully configured this SGI O2 to boot the available R4000 IP22
> kernel so I'm ready to go with IP32 if someone would be so kind as to point
> me to an existing kernel.
Check out the excellent Linux O2 howto (but if you've done that for IP22
alreay this will be easy):
 -- Guido