Where does physical RAM start in kseg0?

Subject: Where does physical RAM start in kseg0?
From: "Erik J. Green" <>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 02:13:51 +0000

Hi again, everyone;

A question about kseg0:  Do system designers usually set things up such that
kseg0 begins at the start of physical memory, regardless of the xkphys offset at
which RAM starts?

Or is it necessary to add the offset at which RAM starts to the kseg0 base,
making it possible that the system designers could start RAM addresses high
enough (above 512M) to make kseg0 unusable?  Does anyone have an implementation
in which this is the case?

If kseg0 provides a window beginning at physical address 0, that means I'm going
to try using Ralf's mapped kernel option, or I'll have to get the kernel up and
running in 64 bit only mode (I believe 32 bit compat binaries would still work,
since kuseg can be mapped).

Erik J. Green