Re: Unknown ARCS message/hang

To: "" <>
Subject: Re: Unknown ARCS message/hang
From: Thiemo Seufer <>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 22:04:15 +0200
Erik J. Green wrote:
> .. and just to display my complete technical mastery, I failed to echo this
> message to the list the first time around =\
> Quoting Guido Guenther <>:
> > >  0x211c4018 is a mapped address, which you can't use that early in a boot.
> > Isn't 0xa8000000211c4000 in xkphys and therefore unmapped? The PROM only
> > seems to look at the lower 32bits of PC though.
> > Puzzled,
> >  -- Guido
> That's what I thought too.  I did notice that the 64 bit kernel seems to refer
> to some 32 bit compatibility address spaces, so I'm probably confused on what
> gets used when.
> FYI, the load address I'm using (0xa800000020004000) is the one specified in
> the
> irix headers for an IP30 kernel (as I read it anyway) and is very close to the
> entry point IRIX uses on the same machine.

Current 64-bit kernels are loaded in the 32-bit compatibility space, i.e. the
load address is 0xffffffff8???????. If you want to load to 64-bit space (the
firmware of r10k ip28 needs this, too), you'll have to fix several macro
expansions in the kernel. I did this once for my ip28, but haven't found the
time to make it really work yet.

An outdated patch which covers this and some other issues is available at