Re: Unknown ARCS message/hang

To: "Erik J. Green" <>
Subject: Re: Unknown ARCS message/hang
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 17:27:48 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: "" <>
On Fri, 4 Apr 2003, Erik J. Green wrote:

> Clearly then, the kernel is linked at the wrong address to have this work.
> The
> question I have is, why is kseg0 used in this case?  Is it due to the 32 to 64
> bit conversion that happens later on in the build?  It looks like the IP27
> load
> address was originally  0xa80000000001c000, but was amended to 0x8001c000 for
> the current CVS(2.4) kernel.  Again, due to the conversion?

 Not all parts of the MIPS64/Linux kernel are 64-bit clean when it comes
to addressing.  There used to be troubles with 64-bit tools until
recently, too.  That's why the kernel is built with 32-bit addressing and
only after the final link converted to a 64-bit object to satisfy firmware
that needs such for a load.

 It should be fixed one day, but that's not necessarily a starter's task.