Re: CVS Update@-mips.org: linux

To: Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>
Subject: Re: CVS Update@-mips.org: linux
From: Juan Quintela <quintela@mandrakesoft.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 16:51:53 +0200
Cc: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>, linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
>>>>> "ralf" == Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org> writes:

ralf> On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 04:11:02PM +0200, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:
>> Hmm, erratum #2 is about status output pins.  I suppose you mean erratum
>> #5.  But then it applies to V3.0, too.
>>
>> Then the bit is r/w, so how about toggling it instead of panicking?
>> With an informational message like:
>>
>> printk(KERN_ERR "Firmware bug: 32-byte I-cache line size unsupported for
>> the R4000...\n");
>> printk(KERN_ERR "... fixing up to 16-byte size.\n");
>>
>> Of course that probably requires a temporary cache inhibition and
>> invalidation.

ralf> I know of one machine where changing the size of the cacheline is supposed
ralf> not to work, that's the MIPS Magnum 4000 and it's close relatives.

ralf> Anyway, I put the check there for the unlikely case there are broken
ralf> systems out there.  In practice I assume vendors were aware of this
ralf> problem and the check is purely theoretical and for paranoid correctness's
ralf> sake.

ralf> It seems like changing the configuration to larger cache lines where
ralf> possible should improve performance somewhat.  If all the cache code is
ralf> working truly correct we also should no longer see VCE exceptions on
ralf> R4000SC processors - the reason why Indys are still a valuable test tool.

I still got lot of them :(

VCED exceptions         : 1544376
VCEI exceptions         : 92380

That machine was booted yesterday night.  I haven't login on it,
i.e. only normal daemons for a nfsrooted machine running.

Later, Juan.

are different -- Larry McVoy