Re: -mcpu vs. binutils 2.13.90.0.18

To: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Subject: Re: -mcpu vs. binutils 2.13.90.0.18
From: Guido Guenther <agx@sigxcpu.org>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 18:42:41 +0100
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 05:03:03PM +0100, Thiemo Seufer wrote:
> Try
>    -mabi=o32 -march=r5000 -Wa,--trap
> This may fail if the compiler is very old, though.
>
> > for IP22? -mips2 conflicts with -march=r5000 since this implies -mips4.
>
> This was fixed in very recent gcc. -mips2 should be an alias for -march=r6000
> and -mips4 one for -march=r8000.
Is it correct that -mipsX in contrast to -march=rXXXX has the difference
of not only selecting a specific CPU instruction set but also an abi
(o32 or n64)? If so wouldn't it be cleaner to remove -mipsX altogether
and use -march=rXXXX and -mabi=o32, etc? The different meanings of these
options in different toolchain versions confuse me a lot. What is the
final intended usage of these options?
 -- Guido