2.4.20 SCSI problems on NASRaQ

Subject: 2.4.20 SCSI problems on NASRaQ
From: Neurophyre <>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 12:24:10 -0500
Hello all.  I'm trying to get Debian 3.0r1 working usefully on a
MIPS-based Seagate (Cobalt) NASRaQ.  The system uses the same processor
as the Qube 2 and has an integrated 53c860 SCSI controller, which would
appear to be supported by no fewer than three kernel drivers!

I'm compiling the kernel source available at
WITH Paul Martin's tulip and PCIfun patches applied.  I should mention
that the stock 2.4.20 source with the debian kernel-patch-2.4-cobalt
package applied to it presented numerous problems and I had to give up.

The problem is that upon boot (or module installation), I get similar
messages from all three SCSI drivers.

sym.0.8.0: IO region 0x10102000[0..127] is in use
ncr53c8xx: IO region 0x10102000[0..127] is in use

On boot, the boot process just goes on, but no 'scsi0 blah blah'
printout occurs, and nothing is printed about a tape drive I have
attached to the machine for testing.

When installing as a module (only tested with sym53c8xx driver) the
module installation fails and a message like above is printed to the
serial console.

Doing a 'cat /proc/scsi/scsi' yields

Attached devices: none

no matter what.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  We'd really like to modernize the
NASRaQ and still be able to use its SCSI port.