Re: PROM variables

To: Vincent Stehlé <vincent.stehle@stepmind.com>
Subject: Re: PROM variables
From: Guido Guenther <agx@sigxcpu.org>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 11:26:01 +0100
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Hi Vincent,
On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 11:04:22AM +0100, Vincent Stehlé wrote:
> Is there a way to get/set PROM variables under Linux ?
Not for IP22.

> I have an indigo2 with no display, and setting the variables without
> reverting to the monitor through the serial line would be very handy.
If you pull out the graphics board the machine will switch to the serial
line.

> As I doubt there is currently a solution, I was thinking about
> implementing this as a /proc subdir. What do you think ?
What about multiple files in /proc/arcs which have the PROM variables as
name and its value as contents? When doing this I'd write into the NVRAM
directly instead of using the Arcs functions, I think the necessary info
is in the IRIX headers.
Regards,
 -- Guido