allocating a large memory area

To: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Subject: allocating a large memory area
From: Hilik Stein <hilik@netvision.net.il>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 13:28:02 +0200
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Hi All
i am building a kernel based fast packet handler which runs on kernel
2.4.20.
my code resides inside the kernel, which is running on sb1 core.
i need to allocate a large memory region for my data (32MB), which is far
beyond what kmalloc can provide for me.
i do not want to use vmalloc, since it will allocate the memory out of
KSEG2, which is too slow and will generate too many exceptions when i
have to access my data randomly.
i was thinking of limiting the linux from accessing the highest physical
32MB by using "mem=224M" kernel command line parameter. this was i
can access my data using 0x8e000000 through KSEG1.
is this safe ? anything i need to consider before moving forward with that
approach ?
thanks
Hilik