static variables access and gp

To: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Subject: static variables access and gp
From: Tinga Shilo <tingashilo@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 23:30:17 -0800 (PST)
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Hi,
I am implementing a kernel mechanism which is
very performance oriented. Along my long critical
path,
there is a static variable that needs to be accessed
quite a few times. This variable is a structure which
is approximately 60 bytes big.
In there any way I can "convince" my kernel (compiled
with gcc) to access this variable using gp ?
Is gp usually used for this purpose in mips-linux ?
Can it be ?

A while ago I saw a small discussion here about usage
of gp for static variables, but it didn't provide
any definite answers.
TIA