Re: Ramdisk image on flash.

To: Pete Popov <>
Subject: Re: Ramdisk image on flash.
From: Dan Malek <>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 16:24:40 -0500
Cc: Jun Sun <>, Tibor Polgar <>, Mark Salter <>,,
Pete Popov wrote:

Me too. Keep in mind too that there is no "standard" zImage support in
mips right now.  I'm not sure what Dan is using for the zImage support,

I took what you had started, copied lots of stuff from the same thing
I did for PowerPC a long time ago, and actually improved on that (I think) :-).
It seems every Alchemy processor I work with has a different boot rom,
so like PowerPC this gives us the ability to also format kernel calling
conventions in addition to zImage/initrd booting and flexibility.

that but that's another patch that needs to make its way in the source

I'll get it there :-)

....  I added zImage support in the form of an arch/mips/zboot
directory and supporting files, but that never made it in
because it added yet another copy of zlib (my argument was, so what, all
the other arches do it).

Yeah, I know about zlib.  I have "fixed" this more than once on PowerPC
to use the kernel zlib, but it still hasn't stuck in the source tree :-)
I'll try to get it right when I do a MIPS patch.

        -- Dan