Re: Ramdisk image on flash.

To: Tibor Polgar <tpolgar@freehandsystems.com>
Subject: Re: Ramdisk image on flash.
From: Brian Murphy <brian@murphy.dk>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 20:42:11 +0100
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Tibor Polgar wrote:

Pete Popov wrote:
On Wed, 2003-02-19 at 22:05, Krishnakumar. R wrote:
Hi,

Is there any way that I can keep
a ramdisk image (containing the root filesystem)
in a flash device and boot to it.
Yes, and other architectures have support for passing arguments to the
kernel that tell it where the ramdisk is. I don't know that we've done
that for MIPS, yet.  It wouldn't be too hard to do and maybe someone on
this list is already working on it (I think someone actually is working
on it and was preparing a patch for Ralf).

For having separate initrd and kernel load we also need an aware bootloader
that knows where to find the ramdisk.   RedBoot, from what i read, seems to be
i386 specific. The Yamon i've patched "COULD" be made to do it.
RedBoot is very portable and not at all i386 specific. I just ported it to the LASAT boards I support in the linux kernel - it took a few days. When you have ported it you almost instantly have a really nice embedded operating system too. Perhaps
you were confusing it with GRUB?

How this helps with ramdisks I don't know :-).

/Brian