Re: Ramdisk image on flash.

To: Tibor Polgar <tpolgar@freehandsystems.com>
Subject: Re: Ramdisk image on flash.
From: Pete Popov <ppopov@mvista.com>
Date: 20 Feb 2003 11:41:25 -0800
Cc: krishnakumar@naturesoft.net, linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Thu, 2003-02-20 at 11:30, Tibor Polgar wrote:
> Pete Popov wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 2003-02-19 at 22:05, Krishnakumar. R wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Is there any way that I can keep
> > > a ramdisk image (containing the root filesystem)
> > > in a flash device and boot to it.
> >
> > Yes, and other architectures have support for passing arguments to the
> > kernel that tell it where the ramdisk is. I don't know that we've done
> > that for MIPS, yet.  It wouldn't be too hard to do and maybe someone on
> > this list is already working on it (I think someone actually is working
> > on it and was preparing a patch for Ralf).
>
> For having separate initrd and kernel load we also need an aware bootloader
> that knows where to find the ramdisk.   RedBoot, from what i read, seems to be
> i386 specific.    The Yamon i've patched "COULD" be made to do it.

I haven't looked at how initrd support is really done in other arches. But I
think the kernel copies the initrd image from its original location to a
new location, so I don't see why the original location couldn't be in
flash.  You could just pass the physical address to the kernel, and have
the kernel load it from flash to ram.

Pete