when does "init" become usermode process

To: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Subject: when does "init" become usermode process
From: shenminshi@netscape.net
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 13:01:33 -0500
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Hi,
  I was reading the kernel boot code toward the end where kernel's init thread
execve("/sbin/init",x,x). Execve() calls sys_execve() and do_execve(). All the
manpage and kernel document told us the init is the first usermode process
running in the system. However, when the execve("/sbin/init",x,x) runs in the
kernel (init/main.c), I believe we are still in the kernel mode, aren't we?
Unless execve() does the trick to turn init into usermode by setting the KU bit
in the STATUS register. I checked the execve() code and its not obvious whether
it does this or not. I then check the init source code and it does not mess
around the KU bit either.

My question is when and how does init turn itself into usermode.

Thanks

sms

http://webmail.netscape.com/