porting arcboot

To: Linux-MIPS <linux-mips@linux-mips.org>
Subject: porting arcboot
From: Andrew Clausen <clausen@melbourne.sgi.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 14:45:49 +1100
Cc: Guido Guenther <agx@sigxcpu.org>
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Hi all,

I'm planning to try porting arcboot to ip27 (mips64).

I plan to do this by cross-compiling... this is actually the only
option since there's no 64 bit userland yet.

Some issues:

 * I'll be cross-compiling (using the mips64-linux-gcc & friends that
are provided on ftp.linux-mips.org), which means some makefile hacking...

 * there's no mips64-linux glibc, which means no libc headers are
available.  So I need to either cut&paste libc headers, or remove
dependencies on them.  This affects lots of code.

 * the e2fs stuff... how is this being maintained?  It uses libc
headers a bit... can I kill them?  Or will this make it hard to update
to new upstream e2fsprogs releases?

Anything else?

Cheers,
ANdrew