Re: kernel boot error.

To: Tibor Polgar <>
Subject: Re: kernel boot error.
From: Andrew Clausen <>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 14:06:25 +1100
Cc: Jason Ormes <>,
On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 05:37:00PM -0800, Tibor Polgar wrote:
> > I'm getting exactly the same problem.  What machine are you using?
> > I'm using an ip27 (origin 200), and an acenic network card.
> >
> > It seems that there all kinds of PCI hacks in the ip27 support,
> > and I'm currently trying to figure out how to get this card working...
> My buddy and I used to work at Alteon with my buddy doing most of the original
> NIC firmware coding.  I don't remember who did the SGI driver side coding.
> The linux driver was done by Jes Sorensen using our OpenDriver kit. Let me
> know if we can help in any way.   Is the Origin an SGI machine?

Yep.  It's sitting in an SGI machine room.

>   If so, i do
> recall we had to do some special casing to get the card to work correctly.

Yeah, that would be right.  Have you had a look at pci_fixup_ioc3()?
(That's the network card that seems to come with the Origin 200).  I
bet it's something similar.

Just, the base address the card (PCI bus?) is spitting out is very odd:

        eth0: SGI AceNIC Gigabit Ethernet at 0xfe7fc000, irq 8

The card is in slot 6, so I'd expect the base address to be 0x8900000.
Anyway, it dies on this:

        writel(HW_RESET | (HW_RESET << 24), &regs->HostCtrl);

        (depending on the base address... I hard coded in a more
        sane one, but it still crashes)