Re: [patch] cmdline.c rewrite

To: Guido Guenther <agx@sigxcpu.org>, Linux-MIPS <linux-mips@linux-mips.org>
Subject: Re: [patch] cmdline.c rewrite
From: Andrew Clausen <clausen@melbourne.sgi.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 09:39:30 +1100
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 10:24:17AM +0100, Guido Guenther wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 05:13:23PM +1100, Andrew Clausen wrote:
> > Some kernel parameters are auto-generated.   eg: root= (always has been
> > broken).  Anyway, the old version of cmdline.c added these auto-generated
> Can you explain in what way root= was broken?

It was blindly copying from the environment variable a string
looking like dksc(0,1,2).  This should be translated (somehow)
to something looking like /dev/sdb1.  This would have to be
done after the hard disk probes.

Does Linux have some other notation for addressing devices by
their location on the bus?  (I recall a flamewar on the topic...)

Cheers,
Andrew