Re: Lexra' s MMU

To: Nemanja Popov <Nemanja.Popov@micronasnit.com>
Subject: Re: Lexra' s MMU
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 13:26:34 +0100
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 09:57:02AM +0100, Nemanja Popov wrote:

>   Does Lexra's CPU LX4280 has MMU. I've found from dateaheet LX4280 that
> there is only SMMU (S stands for Simple) which does not include TLB and
> exceptions related to that.
>   I've noticed port for lexra (among others also for LX4280) on cvs. Is it
> possible to run linux on that kind of processor, and if so will it manage
> user space application as it should  with mmu.

TLB-less processors aren't supported at all by Linux 2.4.  Linux 2.5 has
the infrastructure in place to support TLB-less processors but we don't
support that on MIPS.  I guess it's probably not interesting because
TLB-less CPUs tend to be part of systems that are too resource constrained
to be of interest for use with Linux but I certainly wouldn't refuse such
patches.

The CVS kernel does not support Lexra processors.  There are a bit over one
year old Lexra patches for 2.4.  Me and the author agreed to not merge those
patches into the CVS kernel because Lexra is a dead company.