Re: Is the CVS server down?

To: Tibor Polgar <>
Subject: Re: Is the CVS server down?
From: Ralf Baechle <>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 03:29:56 +0100
On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 11:44:11AM -0800, Tibor Polgar wrote:

> > cvs -d login
> Logging in to
> CVS password:
> cvs [login aborted]: connect to
> failed: Connection refused
> >
> Per the website i'm using the password of "cvs" (without quotes).  Is it just
> our site/firewall?

No.  A remote exploitable security hole has been discovered in the cvs
server code so I had to shutdown the server temporarily.  The service is
back since the whole hole has been plugged.

As for firewalls I'd like to mention that is running with
ECN enabled.  That means sites still running broken firewalls such as
certain versions of the Cisco PIX may experience problems when using
certain services such as active mode ftp and email.  Time
to upgrade the firewall, fixed versions are out since long and ECN has
become the law ...