Re: [patch] R4k cache code synchronization

To: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
Subject: Re: [patch] R4k cache code synchronization
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 14:03:26 +0100
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 01:37:12PM +0100, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:

>  I can't see any need for flush_cache_l1() and flush_cache_l2().  I'd like
> to remove them.  A single flush_cache_all() seems sufficient for our
> needs.  Any objections?

The reason for the existance of flush_cache_l1 and flush_cache_l2 is the
Origin.  An empty flush_cache_all() is sufficient on the Origin because
it's R10000 processor doesn't suffer from cache aliases.  During bootup
we have to flush all caches or the cache coherence logic will send crazy
exceptions at us.  For all other occasions just a flush of the primary
caches is sufficient which is why there is flush_cache_l1.

So I think we want to wrap things a bit nicer but basically we have to
keep those cacheops for the sake of the Origin.