Re: ksymoops and 64 bit mips

To: Ralf Baechle <>
Subject: Re: ksymoops and 64 bit mips
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 15:03:14 +0100 (MET)
Cc: Gilad Benjamini <>,
On Thu, 9 Jan 2003, Ralf Baechle wrote:

> > Initially I got a lot of garbage.
> > Upgrdaing to ksymoops 2.4.5 , and using the --truncate=1 and
> > -t elf32-little reduced
> > the amount of garbage, but still all the output shown
> > was "No symbol available".
> >
> > Any additional things I should do ?
> Possibly your ksymoops is get confused by the file.  The vmlinux
> file is a 32-bit ELF file but the file contains the addresses
> sign-extended to 64-bit.  As a bandaid you can just chop off the high
> 32-bits of all addresses in

 Recent versions of ksymoops contain code to handle 64-bit MIPS flexibly
and are expected to take care of address aliases.  They don't works very
well, though, and I've done a few fixes.  They are available in a ksymoops
2.4.8 package at my site and hopefully will be applied in a future

 Anyway the cross-ksymoops case referred by Gilad is tricky -- you need to
build ksymoops linking against an appropriate BFD library, i.e. one that
supports a MIPS64 target.  Additionally MIPS64-specific nm and objdump
programs have to be available to that ksymoops binary (cf. KSYMOOPS_NM and
KSYMOOPS_OBJDUMP environment variables).

 For detailed information on using a cross-setup see the ksymoops