Re: applications compiled with mips16 ISA

To: "Pichai Raghavan" <ragh_avan@rediffmail.com>
Subject: Re: applications compiled with mips16 ISA
From: Dominic Sweetman <dom@algor.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 08:07:38 +0000
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
> Has anyone put MIPS16 based applications on Linux 2.4.2 kernel? We
> want to use this to get more flash storage...

Linux applications and libraries require position-independent code.
gcc cannot yet generate PIC MIPS16 code.  We've considered fixing it
to do so for test purposes, but the code will be awful and much of the
MIPS16 code size reduction will be lost.

You'd surely do better to use software compression to reduce the size
of the code in your flash memory.

--
Dominic Sweetman
MIPS Technologies