Re: applications compiled with mips16 ISA

To: Pichai Raghavan <ragh_avan@rediffmail.com>
Subject: Re: applications compiled with mips16 ISA
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 20:36:01 +0100
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Fri, Dec 20, 2002 at 02:24:59PM -0000, Pichai  Raghavan wrote:

> Has anyone put MIPS16 based applications on Linux 2.4.2 kernel? We
> want to use this to get more flash storage but unaware of the
> issues behind this. For ex: how will the loader work; will shared
> libraries compiled with MIPS16 work with MIPS32 applications. Can
> anyone thow light on this topic or point to us to some relevant
> documentation?

Linux running on MIPS16 CPUs has been used to verify CPU designs.  So
all the fundamental problems have been solved.  However there's no
application or library support, so you'd be pretty much alone.  The
general assumption is that MIPS16 systems in general are too small to
be sensibly used with Linux so there is no support for MIPS16 ASE.
Since MIPS16 is just an extension on top of another instructions set
such as MIPS32 there is nothing that prevents you from using just
that instruction set only, you'd loose the benefits of MIPS16 that
way.