Re: Problems with CONFIG_PREEMPT

To: Colin.Helliwell@Zarlink.Com
Subject: Re: Problems with CONFIG_PREEMPT
From: Jun Sun <>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 10:03:07 -0800
On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 08:27:16AM +0000, Colin.Helliwell@Zarlink.Com wrote:
> NEW_TIME_C is set. URL to the patch is:

There are some bits missing.  Not sure if it is related to your problem or not.

Robert, please take the MIPS preemptible kernel update patch.

> We ultimately want to add in real-time support, such as Ingo's O(1)
> scheduler - if this is 'complete' for MIPS.

O(1) shortens process dispatching time, usually not a big time saver
unless you have *lots* of process and/or you are doing frequent context

Another patch which is probably more important is the Ingo's breaking
selected big lock patch.  That will preemption work more effectively.

> I don't know if it would be
> better just to go for this in one hit, or if we'd need the preemption
> sorted out anyway first.

You do have to sort them out one by one.  (Or you get them all by becoming
mvista customer. :-0)

> Or should we just go to a 2.5.x kernel instead?

We'd love to have more people bang on 2.5 MIPS *grin* ...