Re: Problems with CONFIG_PREEMPT

To: Jun Sun <>
Subject: Re: Problems with CONFIG_PREEMPT
From: Colin.Helliwell@Zarlink.Com
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 08:27:16 +0000
NEW_TIME_C is set. URL to the patch is:

We ultimately want to add in real-time support, such as Ingo's O(1)
scheduler - if this is 'complete' for MIPS. I don't know if it would be
better just to go for this in one hit, or if we'd need the preemption
sorted out anyway first. Or should we just go to a 2.5.x kernel instead?

                      Jun Sun
                      <>        To:
                      16-Dec-2002 08:45        Subject:  Re: Problems with

Several possibilities:

1) Not all MIPS boards can run pre-k.  At minimum, you need to use
NEW_TIME_C, Or else you have to take a lot of stuff youself.

2) Not sure if all MIPS patches are in RML's patch.  If you pass the URL
pointer, I can take a look.

3) Even with all above taken care of, there are still unsolved issues
(such as math emul not pre-k safe, some cache operations, etc).
However, these problems usually are much harder to show up.  You won't
see them unless you delibrately want to. :-)