Re: Problems with CONFIG_PREEMPT

To: Jun Sun <jsun@mvista.com>
Subject: Re: Problems with CONFIG_PREEMPT
From: Colin.Helliwell@Zarlink.Com
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 08:27:16 +0000
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
NEW_TIME_C is set. URL to the patch is:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/rml/preempt-kernel/v2.4/preempt-kernel-rml-2.4.19-2.patch

We ultimately want to add in real-time support, such as Ingo's O(1)
scheduler - if this is 'complete' for MIPS. I don't know if it would be
better just to go for this in one hit, or if we'd need the preemption
sorted out anyway first. Or should we just go to a 2.5.x kernel instead?

Colin

                      Jun Sun

                      <jsun@mvista.com>        To:
Colin.Helliwell@Zarlink.Com
                                               cc:
linux-mips@linux-mips.org, jsun@mvista.com
                      16-Dec-2002 08:45        Subject:  Re: Problems with
CONFIG_PREEMPT
                      PM

Several possibilities:

1) Not all MIPS boards can run pre-k.  At minimum, you need to use
NEW_TIME_C, Or else you have to take a lot of stuff youself.

2) Not sure if all MIPS patches are in RML's patch.  If you pass the URL
pointer, I can take a look.

3) Even with all above taken care of, there are still unsolved issues
(such as math emul not pre-k safe, some cache operations, etc).
However, these problems usually are much harder to show up.  You won't
see them unless you delibrately want to. :-)

Jun