Re: GDB patch

To: Daniel Jacobowitz <dan@debian.org>
Subject: Re: GDB patch
From: Nigel Stephens <nigel@mips.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 17:24:44 +0000
Cc: Carsten Langgaard <carstenl@mips.com>, Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>, linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

Certainly 'p' is the logical inverse of 'P', so we'll change our gdb remote stub to use that. So how about accepting Carsten's change, with the 'R' case removed, and 'r' changed to 'p'?

Can't do it.  I strongly suspect that it will render the stub unusable
with current versions of FSF GDB.  Your tools add an explicit size to
the packet and the community tools do not; so when they probe for and
discover the P packet, they will probably try to use it and get
confused.  That's why I'd like to discuss this on the GDB list first.

I don't see why it wouldn't work:

1) Existing FSF gdb doesn't use 'p' yet anyway - it will continue to work as before, using the 'g' request to fetch all the registers.

2) If and when gdb does use 'p', then there's still no problem - if the kernel gdb stub sees a 'p' request without the ":SIZE" extension, it can just treat it like the FSF protocol and use the "default" register size.

Nigel