Re: GDB patch

To: Nigel Stephens <nigel@mips.com>
Subject: Re: GDB patch
From: Daniel Jacobowitz <dan@debian.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 11:52:19 -0500
Cc: Carsten Langgaard <carstenl@mips.com>, Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>, linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 08:40:46PM +0000, Nigel Stephens wrote:
> I thought the Linux community prided itself on inventing new and
> "non-standard" extensions to the toolchain  ;-). But yes, we should try
> to avoid incompatible changes. As part of MIPS we will hopefully have
> the resources to interface with the rest of the GNU community, and argue
> for the inclusion of our patches in the CVS trees.

Actually, we've been trying to pride ourselves on not doing so :)

> Yup. SDE-MIPS 1.1 shipped in 1992. :-)

Wow...

> Yeah, that's why we dropped 'R' in our more recent gdb ports, but I
> wasn't aware of the new use of 'r' - I'll check out that page.

I think it's an old use, actually.  I'm not sure where it was used
though.

> Certainly 'p' is the logical inverse of 'P', so we'll change our gdb
> remote stub to use that. So how about accepting Carsten's change, with
> the 'R' case removed, and 'r' changed to 'p'?

Can't do it.  I strongly suspect that it will render the stub unusable
with current versions of FSF GDB.  Your tools add an explicit size to
the packet and the community tools do not; so when they probe for and
discover the P packet, they will probably try to use it and get
confused.  That's why I'd like to discuss this on the GDB list first.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz