Re: Latest sources from CVS.

To: Thiemo Seufer <>
Subject: Re: Latest sources from CVS.
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 19:58:25 +0100 (MET)
Cc: Carsten Langgaard <>, Ralf Baechle <>, "Kevin D. Kissell" <>,
On Fri, 6 Dec 2002, Thiemo Seufer wrote:

> >  I'm only going to support n64 on the DECstation.  You are welcomed to do
> > n32 stuff yourself if you want to.
> What does N64 on the DECstation better than N32 could do? N32 has
> more compact code, better cache usage and less memory consumption.

 Well, as you probably noticed, the DECstation is not a performance
screamer anymore.  If I needed a fast system, I'd use something else.  I
need a reference platform, though, even if it costs performance.

> >  I haven't considered you may mean crippling the available user address
> > space.
> IIRC is the maximum of RAM 448 MB on some machines. Actually utilizing

 For the record, it's 480MB, actually (15 * 32MB).

> an user address space larger than 2 GB would mean a RAM/Swap ratio of
> about 1:4, IOW, it likely gets unusable slow.

 That depends on the utility of swap -- it's usually slow, although not

> Is there any point besides of hack value to use N64 on these machines?

 Probably not.