problem with big endian binutils..?

To: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Subject: problem with big endian binutils..?
From: "atul srivastava" <atulsrivastava9@rediffmail.com>
Date: 12 Nov 2002 13:22:57 -0000
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Have anybody confirmed stability of binutils for big endian mips?
while little endian gives me no problem
but i am simply unable to make a working big endian ramdisk.

specific problem is in identifying the e_type and e_machine fields in elf header of executables. expected value of e_type is 0x2(ET_EXEC) amd e_machine is 0x8(EM_MIPS) but those are read as 0x200 and 0x800 respectivly ..this is obviously the endianness problem.

I have tried big endian ramdisk from ftp://ftp.ltc.com/pub/linux/mips/ramdisk/ramdisk
and also tried compiling one using uclibc package , both
failed because of same reason.

when i run file command on those executables after mounting the ramdisk on my host i get o/p like

ELF 32-bit LSB executable, MIPS R3000_BE - invalid byte order, version 1, statically linked, stripped

though i see lot of mails regarding "invalid byteorder" but I didn't find specific suggestions.

if somebody has experienced similar problems , pls. give me guidance.

Best Regards,
Atul

Give your Company an email address like
ravi @ ravi-exports.com.  Sign up for Rediffmail Pro today!