Re: Recent Kernel Page Fault Problems Spawning Init?

To: "TWEDE,ROGER (HP-Boise,ex1)" <roger_twede@hp.com>
Subject: Re: Recent Kernel Page Fault Problems Spawning Init?
From: Brian Murphy <brian@murphy.dk>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 08:53:01 +0100
Cc: Linux-MIPS <linux-mips@linux-mips.org>
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
TWEDE,ROGER (HP-Boise,ex1) wrote:

I would be appreciative of any advice anyone can offer in this regard.

Were any fundamental kernel changes made in the 2.4.17 through 2.4.19
timeframe which could explain why the spawning of init would hang?

After mounting a root filesystem and attempting to spawn init, 3 or 4 page
faults occur.  The entry point of init, its bss section and an elf loader
.text section get hit, etc.  followed by an endless series of page faults to
a bad address which just faults repeatedly, never allowing init or the elf
loader to proceed.

I've tried a RM 7000A and 20KC based boards so far with apparently identical
behavior on both.

Thanks,

Roger Twede
Hewlett Packard

I have a very similar problem but with the 2.5 kernel. I haven't gotten any further than
you in finding the cause. I don't have these problems with 2.4.19 though.

/Brian