GCC generating wrong assembly code?

To: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Subject: GCC generating wrong assembly code?
From: Dennis Newbold <dennisn@pe.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 11:30:36 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Dear Linux-mips list members:

     I'm trying to build gcj (GNU Java ahead-of-time compiler) from
the sources.  It ran for quite awhile, and then on a particular file,
it got about 20 "Error: branch out of range" errors from the gas
assembler.  I'm hoping that someone on this list that understands gcc
and mips assembler better than I can suggest a command-line switch or
some other way to get gcc to generate code which does not result in
this error.

Details:  source file, and assembler output file are in the attached zip
file.  Command line used to invoke gcc is:

gcc -c -g -DIN_GCC -W -Wall -Wwrite-strings -Wstrict-prototypes
-Wmissing-prototypes -Wtraditional -fno-common -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.
-I../../gcc/gcc -I../../gcc/gcc/config -I../../gcc/include
../../gcc/gcc/expr.c

Assembly output file was produced using the above command line, replacing
"-c" with "-S".

I'm building it with  gcc 2.95.3 and GNU make vers. 3.75 on a Linux-mips
system. The configure script says that the cpu type is
mipsel-pc-linux-gnu.  In any case, the processor is the QED (now
PMC-Sierra) RM5230.

Also, if anyone has successfully built gcj for a MIPS system, and would
mind sending me a copy of the binary executable(s), that would work too.

Please send any replies directly to me (dennisn@pe.net), as I'm not
subscribed to the mailing list.  Thanks alot.

Dennis Newbold
dennisn@pe.net

|     The way to be happy is to be good     |