Re: [patch] Correct monochrome selection

To: Martin Schulze <joey@infodrom.org>
Subject: Re: [patch] Correct monochrome selection
From: Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@linux-m68k.org>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 16:46:06 +0200 (MEST)
Cc: Linux/MIPS Development <linux-mips@linux-mips.org>, Linux/m68k <linux-m68k@lists.linux-m68k.org>, Linux Frame Buffer Device Development <linux-fbdev-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, Martin Schulze wrote:
> Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > On Sat, 19 Oct 2002, Martin Schulze wrote:
> > > please apply the patch below which will add proper handling for
> > > monochrome graphic cards.
> > >
> > > Both changes are required since there are graphic cards out in the
> > > voi^Wwild that are monochrome but have bits_per_pixel set to something
> > > else than 1, e.g. PMAG-AA which uses 8 bits per pixel but ignores 7 of
> > > it.
> > >
> > > Since currently no such card is supported, this change wasn't
> > > required.  However, we developed support for the PMAG-AA card and we
> > > would like to add support for it to the Linux kernel, of course.
> >
> > HP300 TopCat uses a similar scheme, and is supported by Linux/m68k.
>
> *cough*  Is there a working machine running Linux out somewhere?  If
> so, I wonder why this oddity wasn't noted/didn't appear etc.

drivers/video/hpfb.c sets fb_var_screeninfo.bits_per_pixel to 1 instead of 8,
and relies on an unmerged[*] hack to drivers/video/fbcon.c to display the
monochrome penguin logo.

> HP300 is not a really working port iirc.

Yes, it depends a lot on your definition of `working' :-)

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                                                Geert

[*] Available from Linux/m68k CVS http://linux-m68k-cvs.apia.dhs.org/

                                                            -- Linus Torvalds