Re: MIPS gas relaxation still doesn't work

To: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <>
Subject: Re: MIPS gas relaxation still doesn't work
From: Alexandre Oliva <>
Date: 16 Oct 2002 10:36:28 -0300
Cc: "H. J. Lu" <>, "David S. Miller" <>,,,,
On Oct 16, 2002, "Maciej W. Rozycki" <> wrote:

> On 15 Oct 2002, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
>> Except that, with the current implementation of branch relaxation,
>> when you enable it, each branch will mark the end of a frag, so the
>> assembler will be effectively unable to fill delay slots anyway, since
>> it won't bring instructions from the previous frag to the beginning of
>> the new frag.

>  Too bad.  But the marking could get disabled if ".set nomacro" was on for
> a branch, couldn't it?

Err...  Yes, indeed, this is already the case, now that I think of
it.  Only when the branch is a relaxation candidate does it become the
end of a variable-sized frag.  Branches within nomacro sections are
not relaxed in the current implementation, so we handle them just as

Alexandre Oliva   Enjoy Guarana', see
Red Hat GCC Developer                 aoliva@{,}
CS PhD student at IC-Unicamp        oliva@{,}