Re: Promblem with PREF (prefetching) in memcpy

To: Ralf Baechle <>
Subject: Re: Promblem with PREF (prefetching) in memcpy
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 15:32:29 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: Alan Cox <>, Carsten Langgaard <>, Dominic Sweetman <>,
On Fri, 4 Oct 2002, Ralf Baechle wrote:

> >  For MIPS a bus error exception is not an address related exception by
> > definition (not surprising, anyway).  Specifically, the BadVaddr register
> > is not set upon one.
> A particular pain is the exception can be delayed almost arbitrarily due to
> posted writes.  So quite frequently there is no easy association between
> the machine state at exception time and the cause ...

 Hmm, I'm not sure if it's permitted to signal a bus exception for
asynchronous write cycles.  At least the R3k and the R4000/R4400
specifications explictly forbid them and state that a general interrupt
has to be used in such a case instead (and at least the DECstations get
this circuitry right -- all of them have a dedicated gp interrupt input
for bus errors on a write).  Later chips might have relaxed this
requirement though -- I don't know at the moment.

 Anyway, the address which is involved in the cycle resulting in a bus
exception is always valid and the reason lies elsewhere -- e.g. it may be
a bus timeout or a data ECC error.