Re: Format of bootable Indy CDs?

To: Alex deVries <adevries@linuxcare.com>
Subject: Re: Format of bootable Indy CDs?
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 23:51:59 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: Florian Lohoff <flo@rfc822.org>, linux-mips@linux-mips.org, debian-mips@lists.debian.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Fri, 27 Sep 2002, Alex deVries wrote:

> I wrote the ISO you posted on an i386 box with cdrecord.  I suspect my
> problem I didn't use set the blocksize to 512; exactly how did you burn
> this CD?

 Blocks on CD media are always 2048 bytes long (disregarding correction
data).  The 512-byte block size as implemented by a few CD drives is
simply an ability to present chunks of native blocks in 512-byte amounts.
This is just an artifical feature to fulfill a requirement of broken
firmware that asserts that disks have 512-byte sectors.