Re: Format of bootable Indy CDs?

To: Alex deVries <adevries@linuxcare.com>
Subject: Re: Format of bootable Indy CDs?
From: Florian Lohoff <flo@rfc822.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 18:00:00 +0200
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org, debian-mips@lists.debian.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 03:32:26AM -0400, Alex deVries wrote:
> I'm curious about the possibility of making a Linux installer for the
> Indy that boots from CD; is there any description of the format of
> bootable IRIX CDs out there?  What does the firmware expect?
>
> I know that sash is involved somehow...

Ok - i reworked the procedure a bit whil beeing in Oldenburg.

flo@split:~/projects/boot$ mkisofs -J -R -V testboot -o iso
tftpboot-r4k-ip22.img
Total translation table size: 0
Total rockridge attributes bytes: 262
Total directory bytes: 0
Path table size(bytes): 10
Max brk space used 6644
2208 extents written (4 Mb)
flo@split:~/projects/boot$ isoinfo -l -R -i iso

Directory listing of /
dr-xr-xr-x   2 1750 1750             2048 Sep 27 2002 [    28]  .
?---------   0 1750 1750             2048 Sep 27 2002 [    28]  ..
-rwxr-xr-x   1 1750 1750          4414116 Sep 12 2002 [    31]
tftpboot-r4k-ip22.img
flo@split:~/projects/boot$ echo $[ 31 * 4 ]
124
flo@split:~/projects/boot$ genisovh-0.1/genisovh iso sashARCS:124,4414116
ip22:124,4414116

The last command adds a "volume header" in the first 512 byte into the
iso file. This volume header spans the whole iso filesystem and lists 2
files at identical positions which is the ECOFF tftpboot-r4k-ip22.img.
The name sashARCS is coded in the Indys prom for the installer when
using your mouse and "Install System Software" and "Local cdrom".

Now one needs to write a wrapper for the Indy bootfloppys aka debian-cd
to produce bootable cds.

I put up the stuff:

http://www.silicon-verl.de/home/flo/software/ip22test.iso
http://www.silicon-verl.de/home/flo/software/genisovh-0.1.tgz