Re: Format of bootable Indy CDs?

To: Alex deVries <adevries@linuxcare.com>
Subject: Re: Format of bootable Indy CDs?
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 23:31:57 +0200
Cc: Florian Lohoff <flo@rfc822.org>, linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 05:03:05PM -0400, Alex deVries wrote:

> > On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 03:20:06PM -0400, Alex deVries wrote
> >>What open source tools do we have to create such an EFS filesystem?
> >
> > None.  The in-kernel EFS filesystem is read-only.
>
> Okay.  Let me look at that.
>
> EFS seems pretty simple, but is there a filesystem described apart from
> the .h files?

No.  EFS is not a very complex filesystem, roughly as complex as for example
UFS.

However later PROMs also know about XFS I think and that's the trivial
case.  Anyway, as afair the EFS CDROMs are partitioned like disks a
bootloader there could also be made to contain something like libext2fs and
boot the rest of a ext2 on the CDROM.  ISOfs if you have a nice library
to use for that.