Re: Format of bootable Indy CDs?

To: Florian Lohoff <flo@rfc822.org>
Subject: Re: Format of bootable Indy CDs?
From: Alex deVries <adevries@linuxcare.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 15:20:06 -0400
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Florian Lohoff wrote:
The firmware loads an ecoff file from a volume header - The volume
header is a special partition with a "minimalistic" filesystem
in it - This can be modified by "dvhtool".

Okay.  I see an example of that mentioned in your mail in
http://lists.debian.org/debian-mips/2002/debian-mips-200204/msg00056.html
.  That seems to match with an EFS volume header.

So making a tool that writes the 8k volume header is easy. If I understand properly, that points to a filename on the EFS filesystem that follows it.

What open source tools do we have to create such an EFS filesystem?

If you plan to work on this - Feel free to come around in
Oldenburg this weekend - We will have a Kernel Hacker meeting
in the University Oldenburg. I'll bring a Burner and CD-RW's with me to test this.

Sadly, I have other plans this weekend.

- Alex

--
Alex deVries
Principal Architect, Linuxcare Canada, Inc.

Linuxcare. Simplifying Server Consolidation.