Re: FW: cannot debug multi-threaded programs with gdb/gdbserver

To: Daniel Jacobowitz <dan@debian.org>
Subject: Re: FW: cannot debug multi-threaded programs with gdb/gdbserver
From: Stuart Hughes <seh@zee2.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 17:46:42 +0100
Cc: Linda Wang <linda.wang@intransa.com>, Linux-MIPS <linux-mips@linux-mips.org>
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 20, 2002 at 10:38:12AM +0100, Stuart Hughes wrote:
> > Hi Linda,
> >
> > It seems to work fine on simple programs, but on some other large
> > applications some behaviour is not predictable (this may well be the
> > application, as it issues SIGSTOP/SIGCONT to control threads, and I
> > think this causes gdb to get confused).
>
> This should not confuse gdbserver.  I'm not sure what it'll do to
> native GDB, but I don't think it'll confuse that either...

I explained it badly.  By confused I mean that these signals cause the
debugger to stop and print the fact they they received SIGCONT.  I just
want these signals handled by the application and not intercepted by the
debugger, I played with "handle SIGCONT" but I didn't manage to get it
to work as I wanted ( I tried: pass noprint nostop)

> > You would need to:
> > - make a symlink on the homst from lib -> mylibs
> > - set <path_to_your_shared_libs> to /home/seh/project/test
>
> You should not be doing it this way; life will be much easier if you
> just set the shared libraries up in the same hierarchy on target and
> host and set solib-absolute-prefix /location/of/host/lib/tree.  That
> is,
>         /location/of/host/lib/tree/lib/ld-2.2.5.so
>         /location/of/host/lib/tree/usr/lib/libz.so
> et cetera.

Thanks for the hint, this is a much better way to do it.

Regards, Stuart