[jsun@mvista.com: Re: [RFC] FPU context switch]

To: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Subject: [jsun@mvista.com: Re: [RFC] FPU context switch]
From: Jun Sun <jsun@mvista.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 16:04:25 -0700
Cc: jsun@mvista.com
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Meant to send to the list ....

----- Forwarded message from Jun Sun <jsun@mvista.com> -----

Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 16:02:26 -0700
From: Jun Sun <jsun@mvista.com>
To: Greg Lindahl <lindahl@keyresearch.com>
Cc: jsun@mvista.com
Subject: Re: [RFC] FPU context switch
lindahl@keyresearch.com on Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 03:58:54PM -0700

On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 03:58:54PM -0700, Greg Lindahl wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 12:30:23AM +0200, Kevin D. Kissell wrote:
>
> > I'm extremely skeptical about this "evidence".
>
> The only good test is Linux with and without lazy saves. Throwing in a
> new OS complicates matters. It sounds like Jun already has working
> code for (1) and (3), so he can do a good test.

I actually have 2) and 3).  1) is easy to do, though.

Anyone can recommand some test programs to try?

A while back, I tried lmbench which is not very telling.
I think the reason is that most of the tests are not using
FPU at all.

However I might try it again anyway.  It might tell the
difference between 1) and 2)&3) easily.

Jun

----- End forwarded message -----