Re: LOADADDR and low physical addresses?

To: Jun Sun <jsun@mvista.com>
Subject: Re: LOADADDR and low physical addresses?
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 20:17:53 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: Matthew Dharm <mdharm@momenco.com>, Linux-MIPS <linux-mips@linux-mips.org>
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Jun Sun wrote:

> > And this is where I think the add_memory_region() magic might need to
> > happen.  Do I need to add the on-chip SRAM and control registers using
> > add_memory_region()?
>
> I don't think you have to.  I *think* it works if you don't.  Not sure
> know if you actuall do add.

 Well, you have to register usable RAM areas with add_memory_region(), if
you want to make them available to Linux.  Adding other ranges is optional
but you have to consider a part of the kernel may want to know if the
range is usable or occupied (consider e.g. the PCI setup code modifying
BARs).  It's also nice and sometimes useful to a user to let him see what
space is occupied.

 What you register with add_memory_region() is printed upon boot and
available from /proc/iomem.