Re: 64-bit and N32 kernel interfaces

To: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
Subject: Re: 64-bit and N32 kernel interfaces
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 12:14:24 +0200
Cc: Daniel Jacobowitz <dan@debian.org>, "Kevin D. Kissell" <kevink@mips.com>, Tor Arntsen <tor@spacetec.no>, Carsten Langgaard <carstenl@mips.com>, linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 05:08:06PM +0200, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:

>  I see.  But do we need the SGI's traditional n32 in Linux then?  Having
> most experiences in the server world I'd vote for a pure 64-bit setup
> (with an optional ability to execute o32 stuff), but I understand there
> are people who consider it a waste of resources.

In the SGI world o32 basically has been killed - there no more 32-bit
processors shipped since many years.  So most SGI MIPS systems are
running N32 code by standard and N64 is available as an option which only
is used for the small number of applications that actually are going to
gain from it.  O32 is deprecated; at this time it's just historical garbage.