Re: 64-bit and N32 kernel interfaces

To: "Kevin D. Kissell" <kevink@mips.com>
Subject: Re: 64-bit and N32 kernel interfaces
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 21:34:28 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: Daniel Jacobowitz <dan@debian.org>, Hartvig Ekner <hartvige@mips.com>, Tor Arntsen <tor@spacetec.no>, Carsten Langgaard <carstenl@mips.com>, Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>, linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Thu, 5 Sep 2002, Kevin D. Kissell wrote:

> of some algorithms.  MIPS was rather unique in having made
> a "binary compatible" transition from 32 to 64-bits.  Does anyone
> know what's being done with C integer binding on the AMD
> "Hammer" architecture?  They're looking at the same problem,
> 10 years further on.

 Well, SPARC is another mature example that works this way.  And the
PA-RISC, PPC, and S390 ports may have similar experiences, but I don't
know the details.  MIPS is quite unique with the n32 ABI as the ABI is
64-bit but with 32-bit addressing.  I'll see if and how they handle such a
case, but it's likely they have plain 32-bit and plain 64-bit ABIs only.

 BTW, I've found an interesting type size analyzis in the SUSv2 at:
'http://www.usenix.org/publications/login/standards/10.data.html' and they
simply opt for LP64 for 64-bit systems.