Re: 64-bit and N32 kernel interfaces

To: Daniel Jacobowitz <dan@debian.org>
Subject: Re: 64-bit and N32 kernel interfaces
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 19:16:22 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: Hartvig Ekner <hartvige@mips.com>, "Kevin D. Kissell" <kevink@mips.com>, Tor Arntsen <tor@spacetec.no>, Carsten Langgaard <carstenl@mips.com>, Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>, linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Thu, 5 Sep 2002, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

> >  Huh?  I can somewhat understand the "rebuild and forget" approach,
> > especially in cases suitably experienced stuff was lost meanwhile.  But if
> > you start to fiddle with some old crap, you may equally well run
> > 's/long/int/' within it, what's a deal.
>
> Eh?  That's not even sort-of practical on an application of significant
> size.  It would be a nightmare.

 Oh yes, I tend to forget there are people who do not write clean software
-- if the size of an object is critical e.g. for a system-independent
binary data interface, there should be a data type for it defined in a
single place somewhere.  But who cares?  "It's not me who'll have to fix
it later, so why should I bother putting more effort into it."