Re: 64-bit and N32 kernel interfaces

To: Daniel Jacobowitz <dan@debian.org>
Subject: Re: 64-bit and N32 kernel interfaces
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 18:28:57 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: "Kevin D. Kissell" <kevink@mips.com>, Tor Arntsen <tor@spacetec.no>, Carsten Langgaard <carstenl@mips.com>, Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>, linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Thu, 5 Sep 2002, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

> My opinion is that N32 is good enough for people who are short on
> space.  We have too many MIPS ABIs already!

 You meant "there are", I suppose, as we (i.e. Linux) only really have a
single one right now -- o32.  And my opinion is we should carefully choose
additional ABIs for the 64-bit port based on technical superiority and
flexibility and do not blindly follow what others do.  To achieve this, we
do not even need to fiddle with the toolchain -- ELF file formats are
sufficient, binutils don't care and gcc may be set up as needed in a
configuration header.  All that matters is the kernel and libc.

 That said, I do not assert my address/data model propsal is optimal --
this is subject to a discussion, but please keep non-technical arguments
away.