Re: PATCH: linux_2_4: add support for the Ocelot-G board

To: Ralf Baechle <>
Subject: Re: PATCH: linux_2_4: add support for the Ocelot-G board
From: Matthew Dharm <>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 13:40:53 -0700
Cc: Linux-MIPS <>
Hrm... okay... first question, where do I get the 64-bit toolchain?  Right
now, I'm using HJ's toolchain RPMs (from over a year ago -- I should update

Second, what about all those nifty extras?  Things like the fact that
kseg0/1 (well, their 64-bit equivalents) are now larger (how big are they,
anyway) so they can map all of my SDRAM as well as most (all?) of my
I/O space... I guess for that I need to reprogram all my address decoders,
and then that sort of thing must be what the arch/mips64/* stuff is for.
Yes? No?  Or am I smoking something too strong again?

The 64/32 mixed-mode linux is certainly of some interest to our customers,
but full 64-bit is really where the demand is.  Is there anything that a
non-compiler guy can do to help the effort along?

On Mon, Sep 02, 2002 at 10:46:15PM +0200, Ralf Baechle wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 02, 2002 at 12:38:50PM -0700, Matthew Dharm wrote:
> > Oh, I agree that a 64-bit kernel makes sense.  I'm just not sure what is
> > needed to get from where I am now to where I want to be.
> >
> > There is _much_ interest from our customers for 64-bit linux.  Especially
> > if the toolchain catches up so that we can have 64-bit userspace.
> The toolchain stuff is being worked on.  Hold your breath but cheat every
> once in a while when your face turns blue ;-)
> > Anyone have some quick pointers on how to get from here to there?
> The basic receipe is easy.  The 64-bit kernel has a binary compatibility
> layer that allows you to use 32-bit software with no changes.  Just use
> a 64-bit compiler, for now that's probably still the egcs 1.1.2 /
> binutils 2.9.5 based mips64-linux / mips64el-linux tool chain.  Using your
> old .config file do a "make ARCH=mips64 oldconfig" etc.  The resulting
> binary file will be a 32-bit ELF file so you can just feed that to your
> firmware for booting as usual.  Problems may be hit along the way ;-)
>   Ralf

Matthew Dharm                              Work:
Senior Software Designer, Momentum Computer